Hope for the best,
prepare for the worst
Everyone is hoping for normal life to return soon but it won’t. School may reopen and close due
to waves of community spread. Improving the online learning experience is top priority now.
Integrating it well with the physical classroom is next. This is the new norm in post Covid-19 for upgrading and moving to online education system. in other words, it’s called as an online environment: moving to online teaching, learning and assessments in hurry. Online learning quality influence success or failure in learning. talking about online education system, there are synchronous and asynchronous approaches. there are many platform that can be used for live online lesson/synchronous (zoom, gmeet, team etc), but there is not enough to support online education system, we need to develop online learning quality in asynchronous method such as learning management system. The only way that we can do for better education is optimising the technology as much as we can, we need to invest technology in our learning process. There are three things about online learning investments:
1. Online learning infrastructure: the institution/ school need to invest in learning technology infrastructure
2. Online learning Knowledge: educators and all school stakeholders need to develop knowledge and skills in adopting technology
3. Integrated mindset: LMS (learning management system), students oriented, and maximise digital learning resources.
Ecosystem for moving to Online Teaching, Learning, and Assessments in Hurry
There are a new environment and ecosystem in term of online education:
- Curriculum design and development such as online principles
- Online Assessments approaches. e.g. more formative assessments rather than summative assessments.
- Online teaching spaces. e.g. synchronous and asynchronous.
- Online learning approaches. e.g. self-directed learning (becoming independent learners)
- Online teaching and learning spaces. physical, blended or virtual learning environments that enhance learning, motivate a learner to learn, promote authentic learning interaction (Kepple and Riddle, 2012, 2013), optimise the perceived and actual affordances of the space.
- Adopting new technologies
- Online Professional Development approaches.
- Organisational Culture. e.g. forward-looking, adaptability, Innovative.